Please check our online knowledgebase by clicking the link on the left that is relevant to your question. If you require further assistance, pleae contact Technical Support at (888) 908-4924, ext. 3 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Be sure your computers meet the requirements below before using VirtualJobShadow.com with your students.
Minimum Software Requirements:
- Microsoft® Windows 7 ®
- Microsoft ® Windows Vista ®
- Microsoft Windows XP ® (Home / Pro)
- Mac OS® X 10.5.8+
Minimum Hardware Requirements:
- PC: 2.33GHz AMD -or- Intel® Core TM Duo 1.83 GHz
- Mac: Intel® Core TM Duo 1.33 GHz
- Netbook: Intel Atom 1.5GHz
- ≥ 512 MB RAM
- Display resolution set to 1024x768 pixels or greater
- 16-bit color
- 128 MB graphics card (Mac)
- OS supported sound card
- Speakers or Headphones (recommended)
For more detailed configuration instructions, please see our Instructor Guidelines page
TECHNICAL FAQs (FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS)
Q: How does your video technology work? Is it streaming video?
A: We use video streaming technology to get our videos to you.
Q: What is buffering?
A: When a file is streamed, it is played entirely over the network and not saved to your computer. No network is 100% reliable or consistent, so the video player stores some of the stream (10 seconds, for example) before playing it. That way, it always has 10 seconds' worth of material to play if there is a network problem. The result is that even if your network connection is interrupted or slowed down for 8 or 9 seconds, the player will adjust using the buffered data, and you will see smooth video the whole time.
Q: What is a firewall?
A firewall protects a computer network from unauthorized access. Your business or school almost definitely employs a firewall. Firewalls may be hardware devices, software programs, or a combination of the two. A firewall typically guards an internal network against malicious access from the outside; however, firewalls may also be configured to limit access to the outside from internal users. They can also be set up to block or allow certain types of data downloads or downloads from specific servers on the Internet.
Q: I am having technical issues with VirtualJobShadow.com. What should I do?
If you continue to experience issues, please contact our Technical Support department at (888) 908-4924, ext. 3 or email@example.com.
INSTRUCTOR GUIDELINES FOR USING VirtualJobShadow.com
Students can explore VirtualJobShadow.com individually at their own computers, or a teacher can use a projector and speakers to present VirtualJobShadow.com to students in a classroom setting.
Computer Lab Setup and Tips (For Individual Use)
- Create user accounts for each student who will use VirtualJobShadow.com by clicking "New Member" on the VirtualJobShadow.com home page http://www.virtualjobshadow.com
- Provide user names and passwords to each student
- Make sure each computer meets the minimum system requirements
- Provide a headset for each computer/student
- Encourage all students to click "Log Out" when finished using VirtualJobShadow.com (to ensure accurate reporting of duration for each user's session)
Classroom Presentation Setup and Tips (For Group Use)
- Connect a video projector to a computer that meets the minimum system requirements
- Connect speakers to the computer, or enable the projector's built-in speakers to output sound
- Set the computer's screen resolution to 1024x768 pixels