Brought to you through the partnership of VirtualJobShadow.com, The Maritime Alliance and MiraCosta TCI
The Maritime Alliance is a non-profit industry association whose mission is “Promoting Sustainable Science-Based Ocean & Water Industries” and a proud member of the BlueTech Cluster Alliance.
Andrew’s love of surfing landed him at a blue tech company that produces surfboard foam out of algae oils. Not only is the material transforming the industry, it's good for the planet! Watch his video to learn more.
With only 5% of Earth's ocean waters explored, that leaves 95% open to discovery! Adam Simko and his team of mechanical engineers are using high tech underwater drones to help turn the ocean’s mysteries into new discoveries.
Her company helps protect ocean life and supports the Blue Economy. Learn how Andrea, a self-proclaimed spreadsheet nerd, navigates behind the scenes to keep her BlueTech company afloat.
Fish Hatchery Manager
Some fish are not caught, but raised. Yann Rameriz is a self-proclaimed "mad scientist" in charge of this Mexican hatchery that raises ocean striped sea bass. Watch this aquacultural dream job!
Access to clean H2O is essential for healthy life to flow. Drenched with passion about protecting water, this environmental engineer channeled her energy and founded Aquacycl. Soak in Orianna’s clean water story!
Submarines, Navy ships, whales, ahoy! These are just some of the sights Cole Crafton sees during his typical work day. Tug along with Captain Crafton to learn how to become a master of the sea.
Marine Engineering Instructor
A former Naval engineer turned marine engineer instructor, Cesar Salas proves that it's never too late to teach what you love. Cesar not only provides critical instruction, but also helps supply the maritime industry with capable engineers. Hail, Cesar!
There's nothing fishy about it...good seafood's not cheap. Cheap seafood's not good! Meet Tommy Gomes, southern California celebrity fish monger and promoter of the local catch.
Saving the seas, for this ambitious entrepreneur, started with an underwater drone hidden inside a clownfish. Add a dose of AI, a scoop of VR, a bunch of biomimicry, plus a whole lotta chutzpah, and you have the recipe for Liane Thompson’s story.
The challenge: Build a drone that flies over the ocean, and land it accurately…on a moving target. Huh? Meet aerospace engineer Allan Matthew. He does that!
Think of a product manager as sort of a technical expert with awesome quarterbacking skills. Janice does whatever it takes to get her company's innovative water measurement devices manufactured successfully.
Agricultural and food scientists work to ensure agricultural productivity and food safety.
Naval ships take about 2 years to build- block by block, by hundreds of people. Efren manages the company's steel operations and ensures the vessels are being built to spec, on time and on budget.
Stephen documents complex software applications to guide the safety of the men and women protecting our country in the Navy and Coast Guard. Technical writers live where creativity intersects with technology.
About The Maritime Alliance
The Maritime Alliance (TMA) is a nonprofit industry association whose mission is “Promoting Sustainable Science-Based Ocean & Water Industries”. We bring education, policy and technology resources together to promote innovation and economic development in the Blue Economy. We create a strong Blue Voice via unique events, information sharing, national and international outreach, networking, research, and workforce development.
Water and ocean industries are crucial for the future of society as they address the five areas that humans cannot live without: Water, Food, Coastal Real Estate, Medicine, and Energy. These areas are addressed by five of the sectors The Maritime Alliance has identified for the San Diego Maritime Technology Cluster: Desalination & Clean Water Technology, Aquaculture & Fishing, Floating Infrastructure, Biomedicines from the Sea, and Ocean Energy & Minerals.
San Diego is recognized globally as a leading BlueTech cluster. The Blue Economy in San Diego County is large and expanding and BlueTech represents a major, fast-growing sector with good-paying blue and white-collar jobs. The San Diego Maritime Industry Report 2012 identified 46,000 direct jobs and $14 billion in direct revenue in the SD region making it one of the biggest innovation economies in San Diego. There are over 200 companies providing innovative products and services for ocean and water industries, internationally renowned academic institutions, and an enormous Navy presence. San Diego's BlueTech sector contributes a lot to the regional economy and is heavily export oriented.
Please take a look at the available jobs on our Blue Jobs Board